After graduating with a degree in industrial engineering from the University of Karlsruhe in Germany, Prof. Dr. Lorenz Granrath at the University of St. Gallen in Switzerland.
During this time he was a visiting scholar at Tokyo University and spent a year researching the exchange and protection of technologies in cooperation with Japanese companies.
After a career in industry and technical consulting, Prof. Dr. Granrath assumed responsibility as the main representative for Japan for Fraunhofer, Europe’s largest institute for applied research. After setting up the representative office in Japan, he established research and development partnerships with many large Japanese companies.
Since 2014 Prof. Dr. Granrath is the supervisory innovation coordinator of the Japanese National Institute for Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST) and represents several high-tech companies in Japan.
He has more than 25 years of experience in Japan with technology transfer from science to industry and go-to-market strategy for high-tech products. He successfully sold R&D service to many big Japanese Companies, advised companies and start-ups, opened a Lab at Tohoku University. His areas of expertise include artificial intelligence, the Internet of Things, the environment and renewable energies, life sciences, materials research and electronics.
|Name||Prof. Dr. Lorenz Granrath|
|Address||7–6‑26 Akasaka, Minato-ku, kyo 107‑0055, Japan|
|Phone||+81–90 9137 6736|
|Date of Birth||02.09.1961|
|Marital Status||Married, one daughter|
Assistant Professor / Senior Advisor with more than 25 years of experience in Technology Transfer between Academia and Industry and B2B for High-Tech Products. Successful in AI, Environment Technology, Renewable Energy, Lifesciences, Materials, Electronics.
|Assistant Professor||Tohoku University, Smart Aging Research Center, since 5/2021|
• International projects with industry / science by AI & Digitalization
• Dissemination at EU-Japan Project e‑VITA (virtual coach for smart and healthy aging, with help of AI)
|Senior Advisor||CONTACT Software GmbH, (Finding Channel Partner), since 3/2020|
Kienbaum Japan, (Human Resource), since 1/2020
ENV Science Trading, (Environmental Analyzers), since 4/2021
|Visiting Lecturer||Waseda University, Tokyo, Since 2013|
Visiting Lecturer Graduate Program Energy Next for Ph.D. students
- Science & Technology Diplomatic Circle
- European Japan Experts Association EJEA, Board Member
- DIHKJ German Chamber of Commerce in Japan
- DJW German-Japanese Business Association
- JSAI Japan Society for Artificial Intelligence
- 1994: University of Sankt Gallen, Switzerland
Dr. oec, Thesis: Protection and exchange of technologies in cooperation’s between Japanese and Western Companies in Japan
- 1992/93: The University of Tokyo, Japan: visiting scholar
- 1990: Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Germany, Diploma in Engineering & Business Administration (Dipl.-Wirtschaftsingenieur)
Supervisory Innovation Coordinator
Japanese National Institute for Advanced Industrial Science and Technology AIST, (AI Research Centre) Tokyo, 7/2014 — 3/2021
- Brought AIST into international AI industry projects “e‑VITA” (EU- Japan Virtual Coach for Smart Aging) and CrossCDR (Pedestrian models for autonomous cars) with DFKI including good funding!
- Initiated collaboration with DLR (German Aerospace Research Center): 23 projects running in renewable energy and materials!
- Initiated / chaired International Industry Workshops: H2, AI, Adhesives for Industrial Applications, Hybrid Materials
Past Work Experience
|Advisor Industry 4.0||APO Asian Productivity Organization, Tokyo, 4/2018 — 5/2019 Advised APO, trained professionals in India, Japan, Fiji in Industry 4.0|
|Japan Representative||Sunfire GmbH, Germany, 4/2016 — 6/2018|
Market Evaluation for Solid Oxide Fuel Cells and Steam Electrolysis
Multiphoton Optics GmbH, Germany, 4/2015 — 12/2020
Market entry 3D printer for micro-optics: PR, first successful application projects with Japanese Companies, partnering with trading house
Plan Optik AG, Germany, 7/2014 — 12/2018
Market entry for glass wafers for Microelectronics/Microfluidics. PR, trade shows, VIP receptions. Partnered with trading house, first sales
|Chief Representative||Fraunhofer Representative Office Japan, Tokyo, 5/2001 — 12/2013|
• Increased R&D contracts from 3 to 12 Mio. € /a with Japanese Industry in IT, Microelectronics, Production, Materials, Renewable Energy, …
• Opened R&D lab 2012: “Fraunhofer Project Center NEMS/ MEMS devices and manufacturing technologies at Tohoku University”
• Initiated German-Japanese Solar Day 2010/12 and many more
• Got Japanese Companies / Institutes for first EU-Japan projects EURASIAPAC (2010–11: IT), NGCPV (2011–13: Concentrator Photovoltaic) and JEDI-ACE (2012–14: Aircraft Anti Icing)
|Liaison Officer Japan||GMD – German National Research Center for Information Technology, Sankt Augustin, 9/1997 — 4/2001|
Participation of GMD in Japanese Project “Real World Computing Partnership (RWCP)”. Got big US Telecom as new customer
|Project Manager New Technologies||ABB STOTZ KONTAKT GmbH, Heidelberg, 4/1995 — 9/1997|
Brought a prototype of an electronic Residual Current Circuit Breaker into production clearance
University of Sankt Gallen, Switzerland, Dr. oec., 1994
Thesis: “Protection and exchange of technologies in co-operations between Japanese and Western Companies in Japan”
The University of Tokyo, Japan, Visiting Researcher, 1992/93
University of Karlsruhe (KIT), Germany, Dipl. Wirtschaftsing., 1990 (Diploma in Business Administration, Engineering, Computer Science)
Schloßschule Kirchberg/Jagst, Germany, Abitur 1981 (school)
German, English (fluent), French & Japanese (conversational)
AI, IoT, renewable energies, life sciences, materials research, electronics